Sunday, March 29, 2015

The Reality of Photographs


This week we read a section of On Photography by Susan Sontag.  In this piece, Sontag writes that photographs are for "consumerism" and do not depict reality at all.  I agree that most photos with people smiling and posing don't represent reality, but staged photographs can reveal a truth about society.  For example, consider the image above.  The photographer obviously positioned these girls to sit and act the way they are.  Most teens aren't always on their phones when they are with their friends, but the purpose of this picture isn't to represent reality; it is to illustrate how attached teens are to their phones.  Many teenagers are relying on their phones to communicate that it is limiting their ability to be able to have conversations face to face.  Having these girls sitting next to each other on their phones without talking to each other effectively reveals this flaw in society.

Another example is this photograph to the right.  I feel that this image, although staged, represents how women feel the need to look perfect.  She seems discouraged because she has one minor imperfection.  Although this isn't a candid picture, it still has some truth to it.  I know I have felt like this at one point or another.  I do not agree that photographs are "mental pollution."  Even though most images these days are edited or staged, they don't fill people's mind with useless images.  They reveal an underlying truth that is beneficial to society.

3 comments:

  1. I like how you brought up the importance of what can be learned from staged photos despite the fact that they are not candid. Your example depicting teenagers being attached to their phones is very well chosen. I agree that talking face to face is falling out of favor and that change is not for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I feel the same way about teens being so reliant on their phones theses days. I am very guilty of this but I mean my parents are even hooked to their phones! It isn't just teens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you disagreed with Sontag's point and made it relatable with actual images. It helped me understand both your and my point. Great job! :D

    ReplyDelete